Update from Slovakia Jet Lag Style!

8:06 AM Posted In 0 Comments »
Will and I, along with our four college students arrived safe and sound in Vienna yesterday morning.

The Girls



The flights weren't too bad. I'm not saying that I was completely free of anxiety of all kinds, but I know God provided peace and a relatively smooth flight. The plane was warm, however and space minimal, so Will and I didn't get sleep. We arrived in Vienna 2:30 AM our time. The sleepiness was starting to set in. We then waited for our greeters and transportation; Laura, Mike and Robbie.

While waiting, I decided to visit the ladies, and upon exiting, Laura surprised me with her presence. We ran to embrace one another. It was glorious to see her face. We were also waiting for another team who was going to another camp, to take the bus to Bratislava. So, we finally boarded the bus at 10:40. Upon arrival in Bratislava around 11:30, we got to meet Laura's fab interns, Sarah and Leila. We waited for a bit longer for Mike to settle the other team and send them on to their next destination. Then it was on to our accommodations for the evening. One of the first people I met on our first trip, Esther, was allowing us to stay with her family in the flat across from theirs. It is beautiful and had room for all of us.

Although we wanted sleep, we weren't allowed any. We showered, rested (not slept) and headed out to take in beautiful Bratislava. Laura, I and the 2 interns were the only ones who had seen the city, which was awesome to witness 5 people seeing it for the first time.

Bratislava photos:







We met our national team for dinner and meet and greet time. It was really cool to see old friends. I think I knew almost all of them.

Then it was on to our flat and another shower and SLEEP! I woke up this morning with the sense that it was not possible to be up already. I am experiencing more jet lag than ever this year and while today was much better then yesterday, I'm still not quite there. Tomorrow should be back to normal. Esther prepared delicious breakfast for us and we loaded up the cars to drive to our camp in Malenovice, Czech Republic. This is the most beautiful camp site I've ever been to. It was our training center when I interned 2 summers ago.

I am really excited about the arrival of the students. Being here has felt a little strange this year. I think I'm over the honeymoon stage and shock and awe of being in Europe. I haven't felt super giddy or ridiculously elated. That had me feeling a bit strange at first, but I think it shows me why I'm here. I'm happy about where my excitement seems to be coming from.

Will is adjusting to the Slovak culture. We are both feeling the jet lag, but we are having a great time. Please pray for us as we start classes on Tuesday. Love you all!

0 comments: